Video Games have always been a great way to relax and escape from reality. But what happens when the game itself becomes irritating? The rewards, or lack thereof, substantially affect the gaming experience. A poorly designed reward system can ruin the entire experience.
We will explore anything from time limited rewards that put players under strain and create a feeling of urgency to grind intensive rewards that become tedious to little payouts that give players the sensation that their time and work were in vain.
Here are The 10 of the Worst Rewards in Video Games
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Horse Armor
In Breath of the Wild, Horse Armor is one of the worst items to be obtained as a reward. It’s useless; the player receives no gameplay enhancements beyond its decorative value. Adding this to an already difficult game serves no purpose.
Below are several reasons why Horse Armor in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is regarded as the worst:
- It’s too pricey and provides negligible safety or other advantages to the player.
- The armor is not considered aesthetically beautiful and is sometimes compared to a huge saddle strapped to the back of the horse.
- Having the armor equipped is a waste of time and money because it is optional for further development in the game.
- The benefits do not justify the cost, and the armor offers no substantial advantages over standard horse armor.
- Numerous players have reported that their horses have become stuck or unable to move due to the horse armor not fitting properly on their horses.
- In The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Horse Armor is universally despised due to its high price and lack of meaningful benefits.
2. Destiny 2 – Bright Engrams
In Destiny 2, Bright Engrams are a waste of time and money. They’re essentially looting boxes that can be bought with real money and contain cosmetic items and chance-based rewards.
Bright Engrams from Destiny 2 is one of the worst reward for several reasons:
- They can only be obtained through real-money micropayments, making them difficult for players who do not want to spend extra money.
- Bright Engrams’ rewards are common of poor quality and not worth the price.
- For players attempting to obtain specific items or gear, the randomness of the rewards can be frustrating.
- Bright Engrams do not increase a player’s overall power level, making them a largely insignificant gameplay benefit.
- Players and reviewers have criticized the inclusion of Bright Engrams in the game for promoting a pay-to-win model.
3. Middle Earth: Shadow of War – Orc Followers
The Orc Followers from the Game Middle Earth: Shadow of War is a huge disappointment. They’re intended to be Artificial Comrades that support you in combat, but their design is so terrible that they’re more of a hindrance than a benefit.
Orc Followers from Middle-earth: Shadow of War are regarded as the worst for various reasons:
- They are ineffective in combat and frequently killed, making them a liability in battle.
- They frequently betray and turn against the player, which can be annoying and unpredictable.
- They need distinctive personalities and abilities, rendering them generic and uninteresting.
- They need more intelligence and make correct decisions frequently, leading to costly errors and poor strategy in warfare.
- They need to be well-developed and fleshed out as characters, which makes them feel more like hollow shells than fully realized allies.
4. Mass Effect: Andromeda – Strike Team Rewards
The Strike Team Rewards System in Mass Effect: Andromeda is utterly insane. Theoretically, they should entice players into the game’s multiplayer mode, but in reality, they are so dull that it isn’t worth playing.
Four reasons why Mass Effect: Andromeda The Strike Team Reward is considered the worst reward in video games.
- Strike Team Missions rarely reward effort. Thousand of players says that the rewards rarely justify their time and effort.
- Most rewards are useless. A lot of players say that Strike Team mission rewards don’t fit their play style or character builds and don’t improve their gameplay.
- Critics say that the Strike Team system is boring. A lot of players say Strike Team missions are repetitive and boring.
- Players and critics dislike Strike Team System because a majority of players and critics have called the Strike Team system poorly implemented and lacking in meaningful rewards and gameplay.
5. Gears of War 4 – Horde Skills
The Horde Skills in Gears of War 4 are entirely useless. They’re supposed to give players an edge in the game’s multiplayer mode, but they don’t do anything to improve your chances of winning.
These are several reasons why Horde Skills from Gears of War 4 may be considered the worst reward. These include:
- Lack of Utility: A lot of the Horde Skills could be more useful in simple gameplay and are only beneficial in certain situations. This makes them less desirable as a reward.
- Poor Balance: Most of the Horde Skills are overpowered, while others are underpowered. This can create an unbalanced gameplay experience and make the skills less appealing to players.
- Unattractive Design: The visual design of the Horde Skills could be more aesthetically pleasing and appeal to players.
- Difficulty in Obtaining: Some of the Horde Skills require significant time and effort to unlock, making them less desirable as a reward.
- Low Value: Thousand of players do not consider the Horde Skills valuable or worth the effort to obtain. This can give them a disappointing reward.
6. Forza Horizon 3 – Wheel Spin Rewards
The Wheel Spin Rewards in Forza Horizon 3 are a complete waste of time. They’re supposed to be a way for players to earn new cars, but the vast majority of the time, they’re just junk items you’ll never use.
These are the several reasons why Wheel Spin Rewards from Forza Horizon 3 may be considered the worst reward:
- Randomness: The rewards from the Wheel Spin are completely random, and a lot of players may only sometimes get what they want or need. This can frustrate players trying to collect specific items or build their collections.
- Duplicate rewards: It is common for players to receive duplicate rewards from the Wheel Spin, which can be disappointing and waste valuable spins.
- Low-value rewards: A lot of the rewards from the Wheel Spin could be more valuable and useful, making it feel like a waste of time and effort to spin the wheel.
- Costly: Spinning the wheel costs in-game currency, which can be expensive and time-consuming to acquire. This can make it feel like a waste of resources to spin the wheel for low-value rewards.
7. Assassin’s Creed Origins – Heka Chests
The Heka Chests in Assassin’s Creed Origins is nothing but a rip-off. They’re supposed to be a way for players to earn new gear, but they’re nothing more than a way for the developers to make a quick buck.
These are the several reasons why the Heka Chests from Assassin’s Creed Origins are considered the worst reward:
- The rewards from Heka Chests could be more impressive and worth the effort required to obtain them. Thousand of players have reported getting common or low-level items from the chests, which do not offer much value in gameplay or progression.
- The Heka Chests are often located in difficult-to-reach areas or require completing certain challenges or quests to access them. This means that players have to spend a lot of time and effort to find and open the chests, which may be better for the rewards they offer.
- The Heka Chests are only sometimes guaranteed to be in a specific location, so players may have to search for them extensively before finding one. This can be frustrating and time-consuming, especially if the chest rewards do not justify the effort required to find them.
- A lot of players have reported that the Heka Chests are often bugged or glitched, which can prevent them from being opened or accessed. This can further increase players’ frustration in trying to obtain chest rewards.
8. Star Wars Battlefront 2 – Loot Crates
The Loot Crates in Star Wars Battlefront 2 is a complete flop. They’re meant to be a chance for users to obtain new stuff, but they’re just a way for the creators to make fast cash.
These are the several reasons why Loot Crates from Star Wars Battlefront 2 are considered the worst reward system in a video game:
- They are heavily criticized for being pay-to-win. Rich players can purchase Loot Crates with real money to gain an unfair advantage over others who have not spent a penny.
- A lot of Players feel like they have to spend money to succeed in the game. This can create an unbalanced playing field and lead to frustration among players.
- The Loot Crates are random, so single players have no control over what they receive and may end up with useless items.
- The Loot Crate system has been criticized for its lack of transparency, as players do not know the odds of receiving certain items from the crates.
9. Call of Duty: WWII – Supply Drops
The Supply Drops in Call of Duty: WWII is a complete joke. They’re supposed to be the way for a player to provide a sense of excitement and anticipation, but they’re nothing more than a way for the developers to make a quick penny.
Here are the several reasons why Supply Drops from Call of Duty: WWII is considered the worst reward:
- Supply Drops are randomized rewards, meaning a players has no control over what they receive. This can lead to disappointment and frustration when a players receive items that could be more useful or valuable to them.
- Pay-to-Win Mechanics The Supply Drops contain various items such as weapon skins, emotes, and other cosmetic items. However, the Supply Drops also include rare weapons that can significantly advantage a players in multiplayer matches. This means rich players willing to spend real money on Supply Drops have a much better chance of winning than those who don’t, leading to a significant imbalance in the game.
- Unbalanced Rewards Supply Drops also suffer from unbalanced rewards. Some items are significantly more powerful than others, leading to a significant imbalance in the game. This can make the game feel unfair, and players may feel encouraged to continue to play.
- Lack of transparency the game does not reveal the odds of getting a specific item from a Supply Drop, making it difficult for players to know their chances of getting the items they want. This lack of transparency leads to a feeling of uncertainty and can be frustrating for players.
10. NBA 2K18 – Virtual Currency
Virtual Currency is one of the worst things in NBA 2K18. It’s a way for the developers to make a quick buck, offering nothing of value to the player. The virtual currency system is not without its criticisms, however. Many players feel that it gives an unfair advantage to those willing to spend money on the game.
Here are a few reasons why virtual Currency from NBA 2K18 may be considered the worst reward.
- It is not a tangible reward. Virtual Currency cannot be physically held or spent outside of the game. This may not be as satisfying for players as receiving a physical prize.
- It has limited value. Virtual Currency can only be used within the game, so its value is limited to the items and features available within NBA 2K18. This may not be as appealing to the players as a reward with a universal value.
- It can be easily earned within the game. A lot of players may already have a significant amount of virtual Currency from playing the game, so receiving it as a reward may feel less special and valuable.
- It does not provide any lasting value. Virtual Currency may not hold its value over time, as new items and features may be added to the game that requires more Currency to access. This may make the reward feel less valuable in the long term.
As with other games, the experience will differ from player to player, with some people enjoying the grind while others do not. However, some gamers and critics have condemned these games for the reasons mentioned above. Before investing time and money in a game, it is always crucial for players to examine their personal preferences and how you feel about various forms of rewards.
As experts in video games, we hope you have found this exhaustive list of the worst prizes in video games to be instructive and useful. As a player, you must be aware of these undesirable incentives and avoid wasting time and energy on them. To ensure that our readers have the greatest gaming experience possible, we endeavor to give accurate and up-to-date information on the issue.
Bonus: The Worst Video Game of All Time
Regarding the worst video game of all time, perspectives differ. Nevertheless, there are a few games critics and gamers alike have ridiculed and dismissed. “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial” for the Atari 2600 is one such game. “E.T.” was hurried to market in 1982 to coincide with the holiday season and was a critical and commercial failure. It was criticized for its terrible aesthetics, unclear gameplay, and lack of entertainment value. It is frequently recognized as one of the worst video games of all time and was a big part of the 1983 collapse of the video game industry.